Saturday, January 12, 2008

From Varanasi to Delhi-- by Ryan

1/12/08
We have left Varanasi and are now sitting Delhi trying to make sense of everything we had just seen on the Ganges River: Cremations, people bathing in the polluted waters, Saduhs (holy men), funeral procession through the alleys of the Varanasi, cows blocking my path, land mines of cow patties, con-artist trying to rip off tourists, spiritual enlightened folks blessing us, drug dealers offering opium and heroin, the colors and beauty, and poverty and sadness. 

I cannot begin to explain Varanasi only because there are so many layers and layers to this place that I can't even begin to understand myself.  I told Suz, I shot hundreds of photos, went through two batteries on my video camera, and "I feel like I'm not even close to capturing Varanasi".  I don't even think a full week is enough time.  I will try to make sense of Varanasi with only two days of memories.... 

THE RIDE BACK..... 

When you come to India be prepared to bargain and negotiate for everything... and I mean everything.  Taxi's, hotels, snacks, tours, guides.  When Suz and I were leaving Varanasi, we packed up our back packs and hiked up to the main road to grab an auto-rickshaw, and as soon all of the drivers saw us... we were immediately swarmed... "airport airport good price good price only 300 sir you come with me airport good price 250 i get you faster..."  So as I was surrounded by a dozen guys who were tugging at me, trying to negotiate a price (200 rupee), Suz decides to yell out, "150 Rupees!"... immediately the taxi drivers swarmed onto Suz like a wave of old school Stock Market traders.  We eventually got our price of 200 Rupees... but of course ended up tipping our driver another 50 Rupees ($1.00).

Today we visit some markets in Delhi..
then tomorrow to Agra (Taj Mahal)






No comments:

Post a Comment