Sunday, January 13, 2008

Delhi 1: Stomach 0-- by Ryan

1/13/08
So after being careful... really carefull about what I eat or drink, I have lost to "Delhi Belly".  Fortunately for me this is a real minor case, and I'm not sure where I picked it up... but here in India it could have been anywhere.  So right now I am living on Ginger Tea and Nan Bread and Imodium AD and Pepto Bismol.
 
Yesterday, Suz and I were given quite an "eye opener".  Across the street from the U.S. Embassy (where we are staying in Delhi), there is a slum neighborhood (extremely poor).  One of the workers at the Embassy school offered to takes us through the make shift homes and tents to see how people live (close to 300-400 families).  What we saw was amazing.  Despite living in poverty... the entire slum was a full functioning neighborhood, complete with a library, computers, tiny shops, a tailor and recycling center.  The people were friendly and happy... only their living conditions were depressed not thier spirits.  Lori, are host at the embassy school put it the best, "in America we have a fear of poverty"... she is right, and India has really put my own attitudes in "check"
 
Today we arrived in Agra... sight of the Taj Mahal
and will go to the Taj at sunrise...
 
-Ryan

No comments:

Post a Comment